About Ivermectin 6 mg
Ivermectin is prescribed for treating parasitic diseases. It is an anti-parasitic medicine that is used to treat various infections caused by parasitic worms, hookworms, etc. It also shows some antiviral properties against various viruses like dengue, Zika, yellow fever, etc.
Ivermectin 6 mg Composition
Ivermectin is a semi-synthetic medicine. It has been derived from avermectins which are highly-active broad-spectrum antiparasitic agents. These avermectins are obtained after fermenting Streptomyces avermitilis. Ivermectin is made by combining two avermectins.
Manufacturer of Ivermectin 6 mg
Ivermectin is a generic medicine that various pharmaceutical companies manufacture. For example, Merck Sharp & Dohme Co. have manufactured it and the name of their brand is Stromectol.
Uses of Ivermectin 6 mg
Ivermectin is an anti-parasite medicine. It can be used for treating the following conditions-
- Head lice
- River blindness
How Does Ivermectin 6 mg Work?
This medicine works by affecting the nerves and muscles in the microfilaria. These are the larvae of the parasites present in the body. This drug paralyzes the parasites and ultimately kills them. It can also affect the normal development of the microfilaria in the uterus of the parasite and the release of the worms from the uterus of the gravid worm is inhibited. This medicine also affects the central nervous system of the parasites and kills them.
How to Take Ivermectin 6 mg?
The patient is supposed to take this medicine on empty stomach around one to two hours before having a meal. Swallow it whole with plenty of water and in most patients, a single dose is enough. Do not take the medicine in a large dose for a longer duration. Strictly follow the recommended dosage schedule given to you by your consulting medical health practitioner and also follow the directions given by the doctor or the ones that are given on the prescription label.
Sometimes another dose is given after several months or after a full year of the first dose to treat the infection effectively. Patients with weak immunity also need more than one dose of this medicine or a couple of doses that they may need to take regularly. Weak immunity can be caused by any disease or even by the effect of this medicine itself. Get a stool test done after taking this medicine for regular follow-up. This is necessary to find out if the medicine is even working or not.
0.15 mg/kg is given orally once every 12 months. This is the standard dosage schedule. However greatly from person to person and it is given in greatly from person to person and it is given in different dosages to people belonging to different age groups.
The dosage also varies depending upon the severity of the symptoms and on the particular disease. And those patients who come with a very heavy ocular infection might need to undergo re-treatment after every six months and the interval may even be reduced to 3 months.
What to Do If a Dose is Missed?
A single dose of ivermectin is usually sufficient. Most patients may not need to take the medicine repeatedly. If you have to take it multiple times and you skip a dose then take the missed dose as soon as you remember about it. If the time for your next dose has come then leave the forgotten windows and start following the original dosage schedule.
You do not need to compensate for the missed dose. An overdose can be very harmful and in case you overdose on this medicine then immediately contact the poison helpline and seek medical help as soon as possible.
Side Effects of Ivermectin 6 mg
- Eye problems like pain, swelling, disruption of normal vision.
- Severe inflammatory reactions like rashes, itching, etc
- Manifestation of problems in CNS like confusion, disorientation, etc
- Swollen glands
- Pain in neck
- Joint pain
- Swelling in limbs
- Fast heart rate
- Back pain
- Seizure or convulsions
- Light headedness
- Muscle aches
- Mild skin rashes
Drug Interactions of Ivermectin 6 mg
- Benadryl or diphenhydramine
- Claritin or loratadine
- Eliquis or apixaban
- Fish Oil
- Metoprolol Tartrate or metoprolol
- Mucinex or guaifenesin
- Quercetin ot bioflavonoids
- Singulair or montelukast
- Tylenol or acetaminophen
- Vitamin B12 or cobalamine
- Vitamin C or ascorbic acid
- Vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol
- Zinc (zinc sulfate)
- Get a stool examination done to ensure that the infection has been treated
- If you experience symptoms of dizziness, fainting, rise slowly when you get up and do not indulge in heavy exercises.
- Discontinue the use of this medicine if any allergic reaction occurs.
- Make sure to properly inform your doctor about all your pre-existing problems mainly liver and kidney diseases. This is to make sure that the medicine does not cause any unforeseen problems.
- Immunocompromised patients should not use this medicine like patients of cancer HIV and AIDS
- In case you are pregnant, tell your doctor about it because the effects of ivermectin on the unborn are not clearly known.
- Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding because this medicine can reach the baby through breast milk and it can cause unwanted problems in the child.
- This medicine is not safe for those children who weigh less than 15 kg.
- Do not consume alcohol after taking this medicine because it can interact negatively and worsen the side effects of the drug.
How to Store?
Store this medicine in a clean place in a cool and dry and dark environment to protect from heat, humidity, and direct sunlight. Do not let your children and pets damage it or eat it by mistake.
Ivermectin 6 mg Review
The reviews of this medicine mostly stated that the patients are able to get rid of their parasitic infestations after taking this medicine. For some people, a single dose may not be enough and they need a few more doses of the medicine.